TRAC Couch to 5k
Over the next 10 weeks we will be using the NHS Couch to 5k programme, a running plan for complete beginners. This lasts 10 weeks ending with a 5k event.
Starting on the 6th January 2020 at 18:30 at the Running Track at the Royal Harbour Academy CT12 6NB. The running track will be used for the first few sessions due to the floodlights being on and to help ease you into the Couch 2 5K programme in a safe environment.
The programme starts with a combination of walking and running, progressively building up your stamina over a period of weeks. The first week involves running for just a single minute at a time, managing your expectations and making the programme feel as achievable as possible.
Adrian Smith is our qualified run leader, the programme is comprised of three runs a week with a rest day in between each. Two of the runs are a group activity, and one run is self-directed.
On hand to help you and Adrian will be female and male volunteers, who are all runners. You will not be alone and you will not be left behind.
Adrian is happy for you to have his mobile number 07984 161880 in case you want to chat in confidence or you can send us a message via Facebook and we will always try and get back to you quickly to help you with your questions.
We all started as non-runners and we appreciate what efforts it has taken you to come along on this journey and we are here to help you.
At the end of the 10 weeks, to celebrate everyone’s achievements, we want to invite you to join together as a team and take part in the Pegwell Park Run on Saturday 16 March.
We’ll chat about this nearer the time. You can be certain that we will be there to cheer everyone on, finishing with a well-deserved cuppa and cake.
A few health and safety requests:
- Please read and complete the attached form and return it as soon as possible.
- If you are not feeling 100% at any time, please tell us.
- During the dark evenings please ensure you wear a bright colour top or hi-vis.
- Good running shoes with even tension laces is important.
- It will be cold when you start out but thin layers are good as they can be tied around your waist in case you get warm.
- If you are running with your child we ask, for their safety, that you ensure your child is at your arm’s length at all times.
As part of our commitment to you we will give you temporary Thanet Roadrunners membership.
Once again, welcome and here’s to burning calories, making new friends and feeling good!
Get started by downloading and completing the C25K form below. Please hand this over to one of the run leaders on your first session.